Monday, January 6, 2020

Finding My 7th Grade Identity

It is true that we are a semester into the school year, but it I finally feel it clicking. Even with 8 (or maybe its 9) years of teaching under my belt, it has still been a transition to figure out my new teaching job in middle school. 

Besides the obvious change of moving from elementary to middle school, I have also made a transition from a high needs school to a high performing school. It has been one of the best career decisions I have ever made. It has been different. I just now feel like I am getting back to teaching like me.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really found myself gravitating toward doing what other ELA teachers on my 7th grade team were doing. I think I was trying to get my footing and get the feel of a new school before I really jumped into my style. It was partly motivated by fear of not doing what I "thought" was expected of me. Don't get me wrong, I was definitely following in the footsteps of some AMAZING educators, but it just wasn't ME. 

But.....a couple of weeks before our Christmas break, I finally got the boost of confidence I needed from a fellow teacher who was a new teacher at my school last year. She shared that she had experienced a similar situation. She supported me in going for it. In being me. In using my talents in my classroom. In feeling confident that I know what I am doing. In encouraging me to get back to my style because it just makes teaching so much more enjoyable.

So. That. Is. Exactly. What. I. Am. Doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment