Saturday, January 25, 2014

MLK Jr. activity

Well, we are still working on our MLK study! It will just be an extended study this year due to mid-year assessments (ugh!), days out of school, and 2 and 3 hour delays because of the weather. (Not that I am complaining...I love a delay as much as the next oh-so-dedicated teacher!!) Anyway, I am always a little unsure of myself when it comes to teaching about people who deserve more recognition than I can give. I just want my students to understand what a big deal MLK is and how significant he was to our history!! Turns out, most of the time, the kids don't even need me to figure it out. They amazed me with the conversations they had. We are in the middle of doing some writing about MLK and I am excited to see what their little minds really got from this! So many times they see and think deeper things than me. OK OK OK! So here is what we have done so far that I am SUPER proud of and wanted everyone to see!! 

Got this mosaic design on TpT from Art with Jenny K. I was a little worried that it would be too advanced from my 2nd graders, but they did AMAZING! The picture speaks for itself! It was great to work on while we talked about how all the different color pieces were necessary to make the picture whole. (They didn't know what the picture was while they were coloring their part of the mosaic.) Needless to say I was overjoyed at this activity! 

 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE your new design! And the MLK picture is so cool--can't believe it was done by second graders. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete