Sunday, January 26, 2014

Low Calorie "I'm-Gonna-Fit-Back-In-My-Skinny-Jeans" Lemon Cupcake

While teaching is my main passion and does get the majority of my brain power (never mind that it seems to lessen everyday...) another interest of mine is fitness and ATTEMPTING to eat healthy. I try to make healthy choices most of the time, but with the New Year and what not...it was time to shed a few extra pounds!

I must compliment myself and say that when I am cutting my calories I tend to do pretty decent, but the things that tempt me on an hourly basis are sweets!! I mainly crave chocolate candy, cookies, cupcakes, and ice cream. So, not too many sugar filled things...right??? That means anytime I am trying to keep to a certain calorie count I have to find some low calorie options to satisfy the "need" for an overabundance of sugar. Last week I ran across a recipe for low calorie cupcakes using a diet soft drink instead of the oil and eggs. (If you have ever counted your calories you have most certainly heard of this cake recipe.) Last week I chose a chocolatey treat. Then I decided I was going to try it with a different cake mix and icing flavor. Today I made low calorie lemon cupcakes!!


 
Ingredients you need for the cake part-lemon cake mix (I am thinking you could probably even get a sugar free lemon cake mix, but I didn't think about that until later. I probably wouldn't go that route because these are so low calorie anyway, but if you needed to watch the sugar intake that is another option.) 12oz of Diet Sundrop (or other lemony diet soft drink-perhaps even diet sprite, I just happened to have this is the fridge. Side note-I TRY to stay away from soft drinks, but there may be some else in this house who doesn't, so I count myself lucky that I already had what I needed.)


Then, ya just mix those things together and put it in your lined cupcake pan. I had originally based the calorie count on making 24 cupcakes, but I started out making them a little bigger than I should have. If you make 24 cupcakes they are 103 calories each. I ended up with 21, so they were a little more at 118 each. (That includes icing!!!)

Speaking of...



This is all you need. I believe you can also get sugar free pudding mix if you prefer. So, put these 2 things in a bowl and mix until combined. I put it in the fridge while I was waiting for the cupcakes to cool to make it easier to use for the icing.




Here are the finished cupcakes without the icing. The only issue I have run into is that when the cupcakes are still warm or even room temperature they tend to be a bit crumbly, but once you put them in the fridge they are good to go!

And TA-DA!!




The finished product. Sometime when I am feeling a bit more adventurous I am going to try to do something FaNcY with the icing and add some cutesy sprinkles!! I have been pleasantly surprised at how great these taste and how moist they are. If you didn't know that these were a low calorie snack, you would never figure it out!






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the chocolate ones at school. These look good, too, so if you need a taste tester...

    ReplyDelete