Sunday, November 10, 2013

Daily 5-Good Fit Books and Class Library

It has taken me over 2 years to get my class library organized in a way that pleases me. It is still not completely finished, but it is up and running and working better than ever! Thank goodness for that because I have to brag on my students...They LOVE to read! We were able to implement our "Good Fit Books" about a month ago and they won't stop reading! (They read under their desks while I am trying to teach...grrr!, but YAY!) A shout out to their teachers from years past for starting them on the right path!!! 

For the past 2 years each student kept their Good Fit Books in a reusable cloth bag that was stored in crates around the classroom. It was a mess. The bags weren't the sturdiest (and by that I mean-the kids slung them all over the place and ripped off the handles) and the storage was only conducive to certain sizes of books. BUT....this year we have upgrade to some awesome plastic baskets that I found at Dollar Tree. I put a cute little fish tag on each basket and put each child's name and number. They fit perfectly on the back shelf in my class that really was only being used to collect JUNK!



The other major part of this undertaking was the organization of my classroom library. If you are familiar with Daily 5 you know that Read to Self and Read to Someone are very important to the process. (These are the most chosen rotations in my room.) It is possible to do these choices with their 2 AR books, but we all know that students need more options and they need to be allowed to pick books that they are truly interested in reading. (That is part of what makes it a "Good Fit Book".) My classroom library has been organized and reorganized in at least 4 different ways, but I think I have finally found what works for me. I am using mostly genres and also have some sections for the same type of book or books by the same author.


Each container has a label and is coded with a sticker which is also on each book that fits in that category. Thanks to my assistant and to my high school helper for coding all the books!! I don't know about anyone else, but I am CRAZY about this library being unorganized!! These pictures make me a little upset...anyway, I have a student who has been assigned as my class librarian and he is responsible for straightening the books each day and also shelving books that have been returned. In years past each student was responsible for putting away their own books, but it wasn't working for me. This year, the students have a crate where they return their books when they exchange and my librarian puts them away. I am LOVING this system!!!

The students are allowed to choose 8-10 books that are a good fit for them. This means that the books are something that WANT to read and they are (for the most part) on their reading level. I do allow them to have 2 books in their baskets that are outside of their levels. I am sure I am leaving something out about this intricate WORK OF ART (YES, that is how I view it!). Here are some pics of my little darlings enjoying their book baskets.



1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that they still love to read! And I like the tags on your baskets -- my name stickers are falling off this year, so I might have to try that idea . I've used my Dollar Tree baskets for several years--so worth the small price!

    ReplyDelete